Business Meeting Minutes – March 30, 2022
Wednesday, March 30, 2022, 10:00 AM â€“ 11:00 AM CDT
The regular business meeting of the Illinois VOAD was held on Wednesday, March 30, 2022, via Zoom. Butch Porter, Chair; James Zinn, Secretary/Treasurer; and a quorum of members were present. Butch Porter called the meeting to order at 10:00 AM CDT.
James Zinn presented the minutes from the November 23, 2021 business meeting. No corrections were provided by those in attendance. Greg Munda made a motion to accept the minutes as read, which was seconded by Roger Dart. The motion passed.
James Zinn provided the Treasurerâ€™s Report. The new balance on hand is $4,760.14. Illinois VOAD has 46 full members and 33 associate members. There are 12 COADs and Long-term Recovery Groups organized in the state. Membership of seven full members was suspended in 2022 after four years with no dues payment. Roger Dart made a motion to accept the report as read, which was seconded by Charlotte Hazel. The motion passed.
Butch Porter provided the Chairâ€™s Report. VOAD members are supporting Afghan refugees as requested and have assisted with recent tornadoes in Kentucky and Indiana.
Members were invited to report on recent disaster responses:
- Joy Medrano reported on continuing long-term recovery efforts surrounding last yearâ€™s Woodridge and Naperville tornadoes.
- Charlotte Hazel reported on efforts to prepare to support Ukrainian refugees and on preparations for the Complex Coordinated Terrorist Attack drill with Will County. She reminded members of the American Red Cross â€œSound the Alarmâ€ efforts to install smoke detectors in homes.
- United Methodist Church reported on the availability of sewing machines to assist refugees with clothing modifications, along with hygiene kits and student kits.
- Butch Porter reported on Illinois Baptist efforts to assist with cleanup and food distribution following the Kentucky tornadoes. Illinois Baptist has plank flooring available for VOAD members who can pick it up in Mount Vernon. Illinois Baptist has also been working to enhance food distribution efforts around the state. Butch Porter will be retiring in two months and a leadership transition is in process.
- Joe Miller reported on Rotaryâ€™s efforts to support the Kentucky tornado response working in the donation center and providing goods and gift cards.
- Roger Dart reported on available funding from the United Church of Christ to support the creation of Long-term Recovery Groups.
Partners were invited to report on any unmet needs:
- John Dwyer from Champaign County Emergency Management Agency reported on efforts to encourage the formation of a COAD in Champaign and surrounding counties. A coordination meeting is being planned for May with support from Michelle Hanneken. Joy Medrano and Greg Munda volunteered to provide startup assistance.
- Domingo Kaller and Rebecca Kumar joined from Lake County EMA and introduced themselves.
- Michelle Hanneken provided an update on the expansion of the Recovery Section at IEMA.
- Jeannie Moran from FEMA Region V highlighted the upcoming National VOAD conference and provided an update on COVID-19 funeral assistance. Lawrence, Massac, and Vermilion counties are being targeted for additional outreach due to high COVID deaths and low assistance registration.
- Tom Smith representing the Illinois Emergency Services Management Association (IESMA) reported on the upcoming training summary on April 27-29 in Springfield. More information can be found at iesma.org.
Butch Porter introduced Tony Lasher from the American Red Cross, who addressed those present. Joy Medrano nominated Tony Lasher to serve as Chair which Greg Munda seconded. Voting was unanimous in the affirmative and the motion passed.
Several present expressed their appreciation for Butch Porterâ€™s leadership in Illinois VOAD for the past two years. Butch Porter addressed those present.
The meeting adjourned at 11:00 AM CDT.
James D. Zinn, Secretary
March 30, 2022