Business Meeting Minutes – August 31, 2022
Wednesday, August 31, 2022, 10:00 AM – 12:00 PM CDT
The regular business meeting of the Illinois VOAD was held on Wednesday, August 31, 2022, via Zoom. Tony Lasher, Chair; Curt Franklin, Vice Chair; James Zinn, Secretary/Treasurer; and a quorum of members were present. Tony Lasher called the meeting to order at 10:06 AM CDT.
Minutes for the May 25, 2022 business meeting were distributed to all members prior to the meeting. James Zinn reviewed the major items from those minutes and asked for any corrections. One correction was suggested by Christina Miller and Roger Dart made a motion to accept the minutes as corrected, which was seconded by Charlotte Hazel. The motion passed.
James Zinn provided the Treasurer’s Report. The new balance on hand is $3,575.57. Illinois VOAD has 46 full members and 34 associate members. Only 28 of 47 dues paying members have paid their 2022 dues thus far. There are 13 COADs and Long-term Recovery Groups organized in the state.
Tony Lasher provided a Chair’s Report on recent Illinois VOAD activities.
East St. Louis flash flooding (July 25-28, 2022)
- Michelle Hanneken from the Illinois Emergency Management Agency provided a summary of the incident and the response. Damage assessment reported 244 affected, 381 minor, 146 major, and 5 destroyed homes. Governor Pritzker requested an individual assistance disaster declaration from FEMA.
- Discussions have begun with Regina Greer of United Way of Greater St. Louis to start a COAD in St. Clair and Washington counties. Any members interested in participating in this COAD are encouraged to communicate as much to Tony.
- Cathy Vaisvil of United Way of Greater St. Louis provided a summary of the MARC organized on August 6-7 in East St. Louis. About 500 families were helped during the two-day event. There was good participation by Illinois VOAD members and partners and collaboration with corresponding agencies and organizations in Missouri.
Highland Park mass shooting (July 4, 2022)
- Joy Medrano from the Northeast Illinois COAD (and the American Red Cross) reported on efforts to support a Family Assistance Center organized by the FBI and the American Red Cross. The center was open 14 days and had great support from members.
Asylum seekers (September 1, 2022)
- Joy Medrano reported on efforts to help the City of Chicago Office of Emergency Management to provide support to asylum seekers being bussed to Chicago from southern border states. A reception center has been opened in Chicago with some opportunities for members to provide support.
Freeport flash flooding (August 8, 2022)
- Roger Dart from the United Church of Christ, Joe Butkovich from the Society of St. Vincent de Paul, and Charlotte Hazel from the American Red Cross reported on Stephenson County COAD efforts to support those impacted by flash flooding in Freeport, Illinois.
Tony Lasher reported that he has appointed Chantel Corrie from Midwest Mission Distribution Center to serve as a member of Executive Committee for the balance of 2022. Elections for Executive Committee members will take place at our November Business Meeting.
Members were invited to report on recent disaster responses. In addition to responding to the events summarized previously, several members reported on their efforts to support July’s tornado event in Kentucky.
Michelle Hanneken and Gregg Nimmo of Illinois Emergency Management Agency reported on a unique response to a recent disaster. An apartment fire in Calumet City on May 30, 2022, impacted 150 families. The Small Business Administration was able to make a disaster declaration and provide low interest loans to those impacted. So far, 84 applications have been received and 15 have been approved with $708K dedicated in response.
Regarding the SBA program:
- A minimum of 25 addresses impacted is needed to qualify
- Personal property losses can be used to qualify
- Loans are government-insured and can carry a 30-year term with a 1-2% annual interest rate.
- Up to $25K can be borrowed with no collateral.
Tony Lasher expressed the gratitude of Illinois VOAD and its partners and members for the many contributions of Charlotte Hazel, former Illinois VOAD Chair, upon her retirement from the American Red Cross. Charlotte’s tireless efforts have left a lasting impact on disaster response in the State of Illinois.
The meeting adjourned at 11:26 PM CDT.
James D. Zinn, Secretary
August 31, 2022